Unicorn Black is a 360 degree Multi-Media Production and Tech Solutions Company that develops and produces amazing original content in-house for all forms of media. At Unicorn Black, we work side by side to turn ideas into reality.
|Course Title||Start Date||Details|
|Character Animation Program - Summer 2016||15th June, 2016||View|
Animation is one of the fastest growing industries in the world. Learn what it takes to be a part of this and learn How to Animate! Unicorn Black's 8-week animation course, teaches student how to use the industry-standard animation software Autodesk Maya. Students will get to learn fundamentals such as Animation Basics, Body Mechanics, Introduction to Acting and help you polish your personal portfolio and show reel. The course is comprised of lectures, video tutorials, quizzes, activities, and hands-on assignments. In the end, the participants are to submit a small animation clip which will summarize everything they have learnt.
Students from Fine Arts, Media Studies, Game Design and Computer Sciences are eligible. However, others having flair for drawing, painting, animation, and film making are also encouraged to apply.
To Quality students are expected to complete create a small animation clip at the end of the course based on the training modules completed.
Week 01 - 02
In Animation Basics, students will go beyond software to learn how to realistically convey weight, motion and follow through. They will start the course by learning how to animate a bouncing ball, and then evolve it step-by-step and create a "vanilla" walk.
Students will learn How to: • Understand basic principles of animation
• Convey emotions i.e. joy, devastation and posing exercises with a rig
• Understand overlapping action by animating motion and follow through using a tail ball
• Animate a simple and straight forward "vanilla" walk
Week 03 - 04
In Body Mechanics, students are taught about freezing and organic motion. This module teaches them how hone their observational skills and improve their understanding of human anatomy.
Students will learn How to: • Improve their powers of observation through an understanding of anatomy and the physiology of full body walk cycles.
• Apply observation to animate a full body walk
• Understand the importance of arcs to convey organic motion
• Explore physicality by adding personality and character to a basic walk cycle, integrating key storytelling components to animation shots
• Use timing and spacing to take animation from realistic to cartoony and back again
Week 05 - 06
Introduction to Acting
In this module, students will learn two of the most challenging aspects of character animation:
1. Pantomime acting: Through pantomime acting, learn animate the character's emotion without narration or dialogue
2. Animating dialogue Use subtlety and subtext to add complexity and depth to characters
Students will learn How to: • Understand acting basics
• Show emotion without narration or dialogue
• Animate dialogue including lip sync
• Convey the motion of human hands
Week 07 - 08
Polishing and Portfolio
Students will apply what they have learnt and apply it to their best shots. In this module, they will produce at least 10 seconds of polished animation for their demo reel. Additionally they will learn the best practices for what to include and the best way to get noticed by animation studios.
Learn How to: • Give characters distinct, individual personalities, to make them recognizable, memorable and appealing.
• Polish their shots to create weight, texture and interest.
• Learn what it takes to create a winning demo reel.